currently...

www.flickr.com

Monday, July 21, 2008

It will all work out.

I find myself saying "I'm sure it will all work out" a lot lately. Mostly in response to people asking me what I'm doing for a job upon my graduation, and how I'm going to survive living in one of the most expensive cities in the world, London, as of September. Blind faith? Optimism? Stupidity? Well, more than anything, I've come to realize that if you stress about something like this, something that relies a lot on luck and randomness, it makes life a lot more miserable. And that as long as you put some effort into your quest, and are realistic about potential outcomes, things will work out eventually. Having flexible end-goals is also advisable.

In our negotiation class this year, we learned that you should always approach a potential negotiation situation with a BATNA. A BATNA is a "Best Alternative To Negotiated Agreement", which in laymen terms is basically your contingency plan if nothing else works out.

My BATNA is to use contacts I have in the short-term contract not-for-profit sector. But I'm not thinking about that too much just yet. I'll stick with the blind faith for now.

No comments:


web statistic