currently...

www.flickr.com

Friday, June 02, 2006

Bad Dreams

I had a horrible sleep last night, tossing and turning and having nightmares about spiders. 2 clear reasons for this, no doubt:

1) I saw a big spider in my bathroom before bed and I didn't kill it.


2) I am stressed because my landlady is crazy and is kicking out my roommate for no good reason and I am not sure a) who will replace him, b) if there will be confusion over the last month's rent that I gave him because he used to pay the rent and act as a "middle man" in having to deal with her, 3) she is crazy and who knows if she will suddenly want to kick me out and 4) I don't have a job yet and thus can't really go looking for a new place just yet.


This week has been crazy with stress-inducing occurrences.


I have 2 more interviews in the next few days.
So far, of all the interviews I have had, I only want one job. And I still haven't heard back from them. I live in hope.

Matt is still in Kenya for his last few days. He too has been having an interesting time. Here is a blurb from his last blog entry:


'The police showed up and took our info and acted all police-like. They were not willing to go into the tunnel to catch the thieves, it stank. The mob wasn't interested in their help anyway. The cops told us that the tunnel was very long and that they would go to the other end and see if they could see them. They instructed us to wait by the hole with the mob. They actually said 'if they come out let the mob take care of them, its easier that way'


Read about his experiences with a lynch mob here.

Lynching is a very common method of punishment in Kenya. People are usually beaten to death by a huge mob which will include women and children participating in beating someone to death or throwing rocks at them. It is a crazy phenomenon. I guess it stems from lack of support by the police - frustration at high crime rates and little lawfulness. It still scares the crap out of me. Particularly when you think about someone like me getting mugged. I would lose about $150 and be pretty pissed (like Matt was). But when you think about being a part of someone's death just because they took some of your money - someone who took that money from you because even if they have a job, they aren't getting paid hardly anything at all, they have little to nothing. And desperate circumstances may have lead them to taking your stuff. I don't condone letting people off for robbing you. I just wish that the police in places like Kenya were more effective and did what they are supposed to do.

No comments:


web statistic