currently...

www.flickr.com

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Toronto - it's where I live

An American friend who I met in Kenya, is in town for the AIDS Conference that is taking place this week. She is staying with me for about 1/2 her time here. So, while I was waiting to pick Jill up at the airport, there was a booth welcoming the delegates of the conference and this man was standing beside me at the arrivals gate and suddenly noticed this booth, and FREAKED OUT and said, "what the hell?, WHAT THE HELL!!!?!" and moved away from the booth quickly. I guess he didn't want to catch AIDS which was sure to happen if he stood beside the booth. Sometimes I hate people.

So Jill had to go through some trouble in flying from Nairobi to Canada. First of all, at the Nairobi airport, she had to check in all her carry-on luggage and was only allowed to keep her passport and ticket and put them in a zip-lock baggie. Jill had tried to do something so nice and thoughtful for me. She had bought me Stoney Tangawezi, my favourite Kenyan Ginger Beer, and Safari Vodka, the BEST vodka in the world (because it is soooo cheap and tastes kind of like rubbing alcohol but Best because it reminds me of my time in Kenya). But unfortunately in the hub-ub of all the commotion at the airport, the Stoney and the Safari Vodka crashed and were destroyed. It was such a nice thought though.

So I took Jill out for some Mexican food (pretty much the ONE type of world cuisine that you can't find in Nairobi) at one of my favourite local hangouts, Sneaky Dees. It looks like a dive but it is really a hidden gem.

The only thing that worries me is that Jill thinks all Canadians wear beer boxes on their heads as hats because as we were sitting outside eating our dinner, a bunch of guys who were coming from the Beer Festival were stumbling around drunk with beer box hats. Despite my pleading with her, she seems to be clinging to the belief that those guys were typical Canadians. I swear, only HALF the guys in this country are like that.

No comments:


web statistic