currently...

www.flickr.com

Monday, November 27, 2006

Just when you least expect it

Ughh. Work took a long time tonight. But I got to be a judge at an "Apprentice" type competition. That was kind of fun. I tried to be mean. Some of these kids really had NO idea what they were doing. Silly kids.

Then I started my Christmas shopping. I had an hour in a mall (from 8 - 9pm) and it was completely empty, so I figured I should take advantage of not having to deal with line ups and crowds. I hate line ups and crowds. But I really like buying people things.

I bought a few little things for my friend's kids (she has a boy and a girl) and I was walking towards the cash out when I realized that I was buying each of the kids completely gender stereotypical gifts. I was buying the 3 yr old girl a shiny golden purse and the baby boy a hunting-style hat and flannel shirt. I had to stop myself. I mean, is this the right thing to do? Perpetuate the roles that each of these kids should take? Shouldn't I buy the girl a hunting hat too or maybe the boy would also like the shiny purse, isn't it their decision what they like, it shouldn't be forced upon them?

Ok, so I was having those thoughts in my head but approaching the matter with a sense of humour and mostly just laughing at myself. In the end I got the boy the flannel shirt & hat because he is only 2 months old and will have no idea what the heck he is wearing anyway. The little girl, I got some cool magnets and I'll get her something else later. Everybody wins.

So remember I mentioned the boy who never called me? Well, I am sitting on the subway on my way home, after a long 12 hour work day, looking like poo and who walks on the empty subway but that boy. DAMMIT. That never happens when I look good and am feeling witty!! We chatted for a bit, he said he would call me or something and then I got off the subway. By the way, he was on his way home from having sushi and watching tv with his EX GIRLFRIEND. That is not a good sign. Anyway... maybe everybody doesn't win after all.


Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance.

No comments:


web statistic