currently...

www.flickr.com

Monday, April 23, 2007

After the Wedding

I went to see this Danish film, After the Wedding. It was a bit over the top at times but the acting was great and it was interesting to try and test my Danish skills. I understood a lot of what they were saying, but not everything. Not even close, actually. I'll have to work on that.

Talking about weddings with people lately, it seems like no one ever really has fun planning them. It is stressful for almost everyone involved, no? The bride, the bridesmaids, the family of the bride & groom, the groom. The only real fun part is the actual ceremony when the speeches and dancing and drinking happen. But I guess that is the only part that people really remember anyway. I mean, I have had fun with the weddings I was involved with. But there was still so much stress.

We were sitting in a restaurant having tea after and I saw a mouse run along the side of the wall to go behind a curtain that lead to another room. A few moments later I saw a movement in the curtains and I must have jumped about a foot in the air as I saw a man come out from back there.

On the streetcar home I found a piece of folded up paper on my seat. A NOTE! I started to open it up but then stopped myself, thinking that it might be something I should open once I am home. I put it in my pocket and started to try and imagine what it must say. I love found objects. The city is full of interesting ones with great stories behind them. Once I was in the safety of my bedroom, I unfolded the note. This is what it read (in child's writing):

NBA PLAYOFFS
(Round 1 - Eastern Conference)
Detroit Pistons VS Orlando Magics (1 - 0) (0,1)
Cleveland Cavaliers VS Washington Wizards (1 - 0) (0,1)
Toronto Raptors VS New Jersey Nets (0-1) (1, 0)
Miami Heat VS Chicago Bulls (0,1) (1,0)

Hmmm. Not exactly the story I was imagining. :)

My face is still red from being out in the sun all day yesterday. There is a reason that FUN rhymes with SUN. Don't mind me... I think I got sun stroke... my brain is mushy and I find really stupid things funny.

OK, one more thing... who leaves an opened jar of mayonnaise on the counter, leaving the remaining contents to yellow? MY ROOMMATE, that's who! I mean, the girl is great, but you can tell the one-year anniversary since I've moved in has passed and suddenly her little quirks are getting annoying. I mean, that's just GROSS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well to practice your danish in between movies, you could go always go to the danish wikipedia:
http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forside

Today's featured article is on Slash an American thrash-metal band.

(Yes, I am a brilliant translator to be able to figure that out).

~smithisgeneric signs out for now

Anonymous said...

You write very well.


web statistic