currently...

www.flickr.com

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Soul Sucking

I spent today walking around in the rain, handing out resumes. The weather was the perfect compliment to my mood. I am looking for a second job for the summer months, for 2 or 3 shifts a week, for some extra cash. I need the money and I will be a lot less busy at my other job so it makes sense that I do this but it is a seriously depressing task. Particularly because it won't allow me extra "fun" money, but rather all the extra cash will just go towards savings. At least if I could buy a couple pairs of really ridiculous shoes I might feel better about it.

So far the prospects include:
1) a family-run pizzeria with a patio that is ALWAYS busy in the summer. It is right around the corner from my house.
2) a wing place (DUFF'S) that just opened up down the street. I love wings and it looks like fun, young people work there but I would probably run into a lot of people I know and it could be soul-destroying at times.
3) a high end baby clothing store that is hiring someone for Sundays only. Only problem is that I don't really know anyone with babies right now to best use the discount...
4) H&M in a really ghetto mall near by. Crappy retail work but I'm sure I could use the discount for some clothes and would almost never run into anyone I know (other than people I want to see - Kelly/Mariza/Loretta?)

There were a few other places too. It is like high school again. I had NO idea what to wear this morning. What do you wear to apply to part-time jobs? Jeans? Dressy pants? Something in-between? My resume had to have a complete overhaul...

And I'm so cocky going in there, thinking, I have ALL this experience, but how terrible will it be if I get NO calls for interviews.

5 comments:

Lesterhead said...

Wow, how weird! I haven't worked retail since college. It might be a nice mindless break.

Cupcake Man said...

The dufferin mall is NOT ghetto. It's a stately pleasure dome

Mariza said...

Good luck saving money if you land a job at H&M.

beth said...

There's a great wings place in Buffalo called Duff's. i wonder if it's related!! It would be very exciting if they were.

Lottie said...

With all these options, don't you find it hard not returning to food service? Nowhere else have I felt greater satisfaction saying "no" to people than as a server... Man, it's only been two weeks but I'm feeling the itch already...


web statistic