currently...

www.flickr.com

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Freak Out Averted

Wow, things get complicated fast. Suddenly I had a group meeting, 3 things due, and a special interest group meeting (for consultancy) to attend and I was kind of freaking out. On top of that we had a seminar on effective CVs (resumes) and were given the dates when ours were due. We have one on one sessions coming up with the careers team and they are putting together a profile book which they will distribute to like 500 top companies around the world. I didn't realize the job search was starting from day one. A guy in my group already has an interview in a couple of weeks. Although the difference between him and 65% of me and my classmates is that his background is in finance and consulting whereas the rest of us are coming from a variety of backgrounds and are looking to do a change in career or at least sector.

Last night I went out for the Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations with the majority of the Chinese contingent of our class, as well as a bunch more (46 in total) to a Chinese restaurant for a 7-course delicious meal (including one moon cake per table) for only 10pounds each! Then a bunch of us took out Penny (a guy from Singapore) for drinks to thank him for organizing the event. The Eagle (where we usually end up congregating for at least part of the night) is a historic pub where Crick and Watson announced they had discovered the structure of DNA back in 1953 Coming home at 11:30 and realizing the work I SHOULD have been doing was actually a great little shocker to push me to work my butt off today and feel a little more caught up and in control. It's all about the work/social balance though. They keep stressing that to us. That networking with our classmates will actually be the greatest thing we can do this year. So I am allowed to go out sometimes. And I will. But I will also spend countless hours at my desk, in the library, at the school, or with study groups to counter those "networking" hours. :) I mean, if Crick and Watson can enjoy a pint once in a while and still discover how DNA works, why can't I once in a while?

The rain has really started today. It has rained for a few hours the last couple days but always when I have been inside and then it turns sunny again. Today it was nice until about 3pm and then rained and rained (and still is). Time to break out the rain coat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're blogging again!

Anonymous said...

...the summer was a wee bit slow!


web statistic