currently...

www.flickr.com

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Longer Boats

Where to begin. My precious bike "the millennium falcon" got a flat tire after I took a sweet jump off the curb. Ok, it wasnt' a sweet jump, I was just riding on the sidewalk for a bit so that I could pass a bus and when I came around and off the curb my bike was suddenly very difficult to pedal and I had no idea why. I got to school and looked down and saw that my rear tire was completely flat and a little bit damaged. Unfortunately, that was a very busy day and I was unable to bring it in to the Bike Man to get it fixed. Friday night I was walking all over the place (home to read finance - not my favourite topic) then to a pub where one of my classmates is working. From there my original plan was to go home but was convinced to check out a "Hollywood Bop" at a nearby college (a bop is what they call an organized party in the UK). Everyone was dressed up in some glammed up clothes (except for the 50 MBAs who showed up) and the music was a total mix with some movie theme songs mixed in. Considering I really hadn't wanted to go out that night - I had a great time. And it was a crazy night. Most of my class had been partying since school ended (around 5) and I hadn't joined them until 9:30 so they were all pretty crazy. Apparently most people were out until 4 - I wasn't one of them as I had rowing the next morning.

Yes - rowing! We were told to meet at the back gate at 11am and from there they told us we had to bike to the boathouse. One problem - I still didn't have my bike back! Luckily a girl from the boat club had an extra bike. A children's mountain bike. Like for teens I think. It was small. I am not small. Riding it KILLED ME! My knees were practically up to my chest as I pedaled and I realized that there was hardly any air in either tire so it made it even harder to control & pedal. I was having serious doubts as to whether or not I would even make it to the boat club, never mind actually be able to summon up the strength to row. But I did.

Rowing is a team sport. We are in boats of 8 - started out mixed - eventually it will be guys in one and girls in another. Practices will be a few times a week in the mornings before school (on the river by 7:30 and at class by 9). But if this is my sole means of exercising, then I think it will be fine. Plus this is giving me a way to get to participate with the other people in my college. And get fit (rowing is GREAT exercise). And have fun. Plus it's rowing! At Cambridge! How cool is that?!

A few things about rowing that I didn't know before. Your shoes are attached to the boat. The cox person tells you what to do and you are referred to only by seat number (I was #5) or if you are in the stern 4 (back of the boat) or bow 4 (front of the boat). And she yells alot. And you have to do everything at the same time as everyone else. It's interesting. I like it. So far. Ask me next time I have a 7:30am practice and it is raining and I might have a different answer.

Last night a group of us had dinner at someone's apartment. Chinese food prepared by our friends Steffi (Chinese girl) and Penny (Singaporean guy). Great food and good friends. I like the people in my class. I'm pretty lucky.

Ok - update on the "should I run for president thing". I'm just going to go for Social Coordinator because I want to have time to do things like row and also not be the one responsible for delegating tasks like fundraising. I just want to plan the parties!

Also, good news! The Economist Business School ranking has placed Cambridge - Judge Business School in 7th overall worldwide! Not too shabby! Although these rankings mostly have to do with return on investment and how much money you are making in 5 years compared to how much your tuition was, so it is rather meaningless to someone like me who just wants a job I like, not to be a millionaire, but at least it is good press for the school and everyone seems pretty pumped about it.

No comments:


web statistic