currently...

www.flickr.com

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Net Present Value

Oy, this week has been hectic. Our 'real' classes began on Monday with finance and management strategy. The learning curve is pretty steep but I think I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack as far as understanding everything goes. Or so I hope! Considering that 30% of our class come from an Engineering background and 20% from Humanities - there are quite a few of us who are having the same problems bending our minds in new and interesting ways. And some are not as interesting as others (accounting). We have succumbed to entertaining ourselves with finance jokes. Very lame. But after a full day of lectures and even more hours of reading and case studies - almost anything is funny.

My fear coming into this program would be that I might not fit in with the class. That I might not have anything substantial to offer. I realize now that I was wrong. I think I fit in rather well. I think I have quite a bit to offer. I look around me and see people who I would totally be friends with outside the classroom. What a relief! And some of us open up we find out that we had the same sneaking fear.

There is so much to do here. Never mind the work - there is too much of that to even think about. But then there is rowing. That will be my exercise and my networking within my college. There is also something called the Cambridge Union which organizes major debates and speaker series. Incredible speaker series! You can buy a lifetime membership and have access to attend events like: Stephen Hawking!!!
Muammar al-Gaddafi!!! Cambridge's own James Watson - hello DNA structure!! Then there is the Cambridge Business Society's events - so far I'm the only one running for social coordinator. Hmmm. What am I getting myself into!?!? But how do I say no to these things? You just can't. You only live once, right?

Things that I am hating about here: going shopping takes forever because they have all different products than I'm used to so I'm constantly trying to find the brands and things I like. Banking is ridiculous - it took them 3 weeks to send me my bank card. Everything is WAAY too expensive. I save money by making all my meals (including packing a lunch most days of the week) but sometimes you have no choice but to buy that 3pound sandwich.

One good thing - everyone knows how to pronounce my last name! Thank you Vanessa Paradis (known in Canada only as Johnny Depp's wife)! Joe le Taxi - her hit in the late 80's made her a huge name here and everyone knows her and the song! Now I do too. Pure cheese. But it's french cheese so it's not quite so bad. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p032PIKdp7A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

Great post. I am so glad that things are working out so well for you! Not that I had any doubt! It sounds like an awesome experience! There was some finance talk at dinner tonight since there were a lot of MBA'ers there. Of course it made me think of you. Miss you!
Paul
Paul


web statistic