currently...

www.flickr.com

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Baggage

I've been away for work and now back visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. Much to catch up on.

Today's Thanksgiving lunch/dinner (we usually have big festive meals in the afternoon to allow digestion and later leftover snackings to occur) was huge as usual. I ate way too much. To the point where I get angry at my mom for mentally pressuring me to eat all this food. So much more than I would ever normally consider putting in my body. This is silly of course. I have control over what I eat and should not blame other people for the sick feeling of fullness that I have had since lunch. Feeling full is such a terrible feeling. I get so weak and sleepy, but at the same time I am pained and find it taxing to move or even breath. I want to sleep but as I lie on my bed I see the sun shining in through the blinds with the beautiful red and yellow leaves in the trees, the last few warm days of the year upon me and I feel guilty for wasting such a day, unable to move because of my stupid over-eating. I think over indulgence in food is just as stupid as over indulgence in alcohol. It can really mess up with your day. And why we do this on holidays... when we should be using the precious time we have with our families, and yet in the end it usually results in each member of the family, passed out napping, each in a different corner of the house.

One thing I found funny was our major conversation at the meal was about suitcases. My parents were discussing/arguing about all the suitcases they have and when they got them and where they took them. It was fascinating to listen to each suitcases' personal history.

Here's a photo from a weekend walk we took. Many more to upload... stay tuned... Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that's why my mom has always served Thanksgiving dinner at the usual dinner hour. That way she has longer to cook beforehand and we can spend the day leading up to dinner hungry and looking forward. I realize that she's pretty alone in this way of thinking, but I kind of like it.


web statistic