currently...

www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Easy Target

I got invited by a co-worker to a special Kiehl's "Friends Special Event" where something like 4 or 5 of their special consumers got to each invite 10 friends each to an event for private shopping & consultations (with food & wine) and everyone got a $30 gift certificate (special consumers got $150). I hardly know the guy but we get along because he has that certain funny sense of humour that you get with stylish gay men and about 1/2 of my guy friends are just those things so I felt like I knew him and I felt comfortable making wise cracks with him from day one. Anyway, it was nice to be invited because I have never really socialized with work people.

So I head there after work with no food in my belly and was greeted with lots of wine and delicious food... crab cakes, prosciutto wrapped Parmesan, lamb burgers with tahziki... And we were pampered. Hand massages, hair consultations, and the staff doting on your every need and telling you just how much more beautiful you would be if only you bought their $35 hand creme. Yes. I went in thinking that I would just spend the $30 and that's it. I had quite a few things in my basket by the time I had been wooed by the hairdresser (your hair is soooo gorgeous!!), the skin girl (who swore she could not see the plethora of whiteheads spread across my forehead!!), the cute guy handing out the wine (and keeping my glass VERY full), the store manager who had WAY too puffy collagen lips that made me giggle because she reminded me of Jennifer Coolidge's character in Best in Show (who is my idol) - especially the way she would slowly emphasize the ingredients of each particular product, pursing her gigantic lips and squinting her eyes in concentration. "Lavender, papaya juice, panthenol, sage, chamomile, rosemary..." She was hilarious and I thanked GOD that Christina wasn't there because I wouldn't have been able to hold in my laughs.

So in the end I justified spending a whack of money by the fact that I got all that wine & food and pampering and ego-boosting for free. TOTALLY worth it. Then again, I still am buzzed on the wine. I'm not sure if I'll appreciate my purchases just so much tomorrow. I really thought I had will power. I am so easily wooed by the wine & dine. Shameful really.

No comments:


web statistic