currently...

www.flickr.com

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Humbug

I went to see A Christmas Carol tonight. And sitting there listening to Scrooge, it reminded me of a comment I read in the Globe & Mail today, in response to an article about Stephen Lewis, the UN's special envoy for HIV/AIDS, saying in a speech that large corporations should be more active donating money/resources in the fight against HIV/AIDS. See the similarities between the two? The only sad thing is, the second one is a fictional character, the first one is a real person. Bah Humbug.

roger price from Andorra writes: This is an African problem, they caused it they can suffer or cure it. I for one, have no interest of investing in a company just to have the profits go to some cause in Africa. Income from my investments is to cover my living costs and the huge taxes that the government of Canada takes to funds healthcare here at home. Why should we underfund our own problems to help finance those unwilling or incapable of helping themselves? What does Lewise want, that we should give ALL our resources to Africa, bet he accepts his huge salary and benefits, what would he do if his income went to an African hole in the ground?

Charles Dickens writes: "I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

No comments:


web statistic