currently...

www.flickr.com

Monday, January 15, 2007

Bless the beasts and children

Today was a very Africa day for me. Just in that I was thinking about it all day. First major snow fall of the year and it isn't phasing me a bit. In fact, it leads me to believe that Kenya was all a figment of my imagination. Looking at my Kat in Kenya archives from last year, I am flabbergasted. I feel like I was so much cooler then. Braver. Part of that person is fading from me already. Or maybe I just haven't had the opportunity to show that side of me lately.

And I have been reading UN special envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa Stephen Lewis' book "Race Against Time: Searching for Hope in AIDS-Ravaged Africa". Flying through it now. I love it so much. I like the combination of facts and personal accounts. I like the way he plows through the black and white bits and then becomes a sentimentalist softy who just loves Africa and its people so much. It is enough to have me misting up as I sit in the Laundromat waiting for my socks to dry. Strange thing, these socks. 2 pairs, same brand, same fabric, same wear, but one pair is brown, the other black. The black one comes out perfectly dry, the brown is still wet... quite damp. What gives?

For all the people who set out to make a difference in the world, how many of them succeed? How many of them never give up, despite their lack of success? How many give up right away?

Golden Globes... watched for about an hour before I had to get away. This show always makes me laugh because they have all been drinking all night already and so everyone talks through all the speeches and if the person talking isn't funny, then they don't get polite laughs. The best part of the show was when Ben Stiller was up introducing Borat as best picture nomination and pretended he was introducing "Night at the Museum" but no one laughed and they showed Sasha Baron Cohen and he didn't look amused at all. Damn, that made me laugh.

It is so bright outside with the snow. It is like someone left the lights on.

No comments:


web statistic