currently...

www.flickr.com

Monday, June 11, 2007

Can't Get You Out of My Head

Bombing in Nairobi, Kenya. Got some images from the scene taken on someone's camera phone. A familiar place. The pictures were terrible... someone lying there with his clothes blown off and his skin burnt looking. People just standing around watching and some trying to carry him to a car. People taking photos with their cell phones. Then, in searching for more information on the incident, finding out about a recent slew of matatu driver beheadings. Funny, this is the first I've heard about it.

When I was in Africa, and reading the local papers, they would report these type of things. And similar types of things that were happening all over Africa. Not just western news (although there was a lot of that too). There were even stories about Asia. Stuff that I knew the western press didn't cover.

I understand why they don't publish the stories. Because these things happen in a world that people can't comprehend. And people don't want to read these stories because they are depressing. People are willing to read depressing stories if they have to do with something they understand, or because they are happening near by. But there has been a line drawn, between the west and the rest and it is like there are two classes of human beings. It is a lot easier to block out terrible things happening to Africans and Asians and even South Americans, than it is to block out bad things happening to Europeans and North Americans. Because we can relate to the western people. But it is hard to comprehend the non-west others and their lives. So we choose not to.

But I think the press should print these stories because it is important for people to know what is happening. Yes, it will make people uncomfortable and upset but I really think that they should be.

I've been reading celebrity gossip non-stop for the past few months. Just lightly browsing the international sections. Concentrating mostly on local news. My own backyard. Now I feel guilty. I don't know why I feel the duty to know what is going on. Even though reading this stuff and knowing upsets me so much. It's just important to me. I just wish more people were aware.

No comments:


web statistic