currently...

www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I don't wanna be a witness!

(Cindy Lauper song reference, by the way)

So you know when you take those tests to see how observant you are... and you have to view a scene and then it goes away and you are asked like 20 questions about the scene? Well, I always do very very poorly at those things. I remember stupid details but over and above forget half of what is going on in the photo. I am not a detail-oriented person.

So we won our ultimate Frisbee game and were in 2 cars on our way to a restaurant for beers & snacks. Boys in one car and three of us girls in another. Driving through a moderately sketchy area and suddenly we notice this guy running down the sidewalk with a car chasing him down - on the sidewalk too! The guy frantically cuts across the 6 lanes of traffic (nearly getting hit by a truck) and keeps running with a very frightened look on his face. I think he was heading towards the nearby Red Lobster. Maybe he was craving some surf & turf? No, then there was this other guy who hopped out of that car and starts chasing him on foot, with one of his hands stuffed under his black hoodie. Hmmm. Strange that he would do that... no? We are in the car watching this all go down and K is the smart one and decides to call the police, just to alert them to the situation. Shortly after she reaches for her phone we hear a "POP" noise. So she talks to the police and answers some questions (apparently they are already aware of the situation and have some po-lice on the move to save the day) and K keeps asking us (driver & me) questions and we are terrible at answering. Terrible. And did we think to jot down a license plate #? NO. Ugh. Did we think to look and see what type of car it was? NO. Did we SEE a gun? NO.

So they direct us to some nearby coppers who take our statements and we are off on our merry way. The boys also saw most of the same thing (and even knew what type of car the dudes were driving - I guess that is one thing guys are really good at) but they went straight for the nachos and beer. I myself wouldn't have thought to call right away. Bad, I know. Good old K too more of a proactive role in preventing crime in our community. Good on ya K! I think I am just afraid to call 911 because it got drilled into my head as a kid that you get in a lot of trouble if you call 911 and there is no real emergency. So it would take some sort of crazy ass emergency to make me automatically think to call. I guess that nearly witnessing a hit is not a crazy ass emergency in my head? I'm not sure. Anyway, the only thing I could think of when giving my statement was that I wanted to warn the cops that I am terrible at such things. That I see red cars when they are really blue and what not. I hope they catch the dude. And I hope they don't call me to do one of those line-up things. Although that would be kind of cool I am just afraid I would pick the wrong dude.

Ok... things that fascinated me today:

I used to shake my eyeballs all the time as a kid to freak people out. It was my party trick until my vision started to get worse. I can still do it but it hurts too much. Link here.

Have you heard about the 5th type of taste bud... UMAMI? Mmmmm Savoury! Sounds good to me! Link.

This is just stupid. Guy suing dry cleaners for losing his pants. But he is suing them $52 million dollars! People like that should be thrown in jail for being such assholes. That just makes me sick. That guy has got to have the worst karma in the universe. Link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you check the news - did the guy die?


web statistic