currently...

www.flickr.com

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blue Skies


I have to say I have been a bit shocked by the weather. It has only rained once and I have seen the blue sky for long periods of a time every day since I've been here. I'm sure I'll be eating my words in a few weeks but it has been a really pleasant surprise that there has been enjoyable weather for the first few weeks.

I keep going on and on about this city, but it is really beautiful and fun to explore and be in. Aside from the city, I am really enjoying being back in school again. I feel really privileged to be here. The other students are great and not at all what I would have expected from business school students (which about 50 percent are not typical because they don't have a background in business, but rather come from other specialties such as engineering, medicine, law, science and even entertainment - a former MTV China host is one of our classmates).

I also forgot how exciting it is to be a student - you suddenly see that your life is full of all this potential. Once you are working, it always seems like opportunities are so limited or not even existent, but now, there are so many potential paths. It is also refreshing to know that at least 50 percent of my classmates don't really know what they want to do after they graduate. And I thought I was going to be the only one!

But the other day we had a lecture series to attend in which the president of an experiential marketing consulting firm told us about her experience putting together the opening ceremonies of the 2004 Athens Olympics. After listening to her speak and watching a very inspiring video, I think I at least have one company I am interested in doing my internship with. Or at least a new area in which to potentially explore for job opportunities.

Another lecture last week was focusing on team building and what makes a good team. The lecturer, our upcoming strategy professor, had worked with the Cambridge rowing team for the past few years (both as a team building consultant and to do research on their work as a team which he has just completed a book on) and talked to us about the challenges the team faces, and how good teams operate. I think his talk also perked my interest in rowing - which I am in the process of checking out. Hey, if you're in Cambridge and you have the opportunity to join a college rowing team, why the hell not!?

Anyway, so there are some interesting things going on. Already just having been here for a week, I'm amazed at all that has happened. A lot in one week, yet that week flew by. I'm a bit shocked and have a feeling this year is going to be over before I know it. I find that idea both exciting and upsetting. More than anything, I have come to realize there are a lot of great people here and they will be the ones that make my experience a memorable one.

1 comment:

Mariza said...

MTV China, eh? How did you get in?


web statistic